Let’s learn how to make Homemade yogurt. If you are living off grid or if you are living away from the city life then you’d be definitely needing to learn how to make the yogurt at home. As it can be really handy to use it for recipes and other uses. Here I am avoiding making use of the various kits and the starter packs that are available in the market. And instead I am presenting you the method which is easy to follow. And below two methods anyone can do at home.
In this first method I am going to show you step by step method to make yogurt at home. If you check the internet and the YouTube videos, you’d come across various different methods to make the yogurt. So here’s one method that you can find it useful.
How To Make Yogurt without Yogurt Starter
This method can be done in three different ways. You can use 2 green chilies or 1 lemon for this method. Here’s what you need to make the yogurt without using any starter yogurt.
- 1 lemon
- 2 green chilies
- 250 ml milk
- 1 bowl
1. Take a bowl and add the milk into it.
2. Take 1 lemon and cut it and make a juice of it. If you don’t have lemon you can also use the green chilies instead. (Don’t use both as it may make the taste bitter. Either lemon or chilies either one of them. )
3. Keep the mixture for 3 hours by closing the bowl top.
4. After 3 hours, you’d notice the mixture changed into the yogurt.
You can keep the mixture in the fridge and that mixture can be used after few hours of freezing. If you don’t have fridge then this yogurt is ready to use in few hours. Just make sure to keep it cool if you wish to use it beyond the 48 hours.
Now that we have learned how to make the yogurt using the lemon then let’s take a look at another method where we can use the existing yogurt to make the yogurt. This method is very simple and here you don’t need much to make it. So take a look at the method below.
How To Make Yogurt at Home with Yogurt Starter
In this method, we are going to use the existing yogurt to make new yogurt for our use. So here are some of the ingredients you need to make the yogurt from the starter.
1. Take a bowl and add the 1 teaspoon of yogurt into it.
2. Heat 250 ml milk into gas and let it cool for an hour. ‘
3. Once it cools down, put the milk into the bowl.
4. Close the bowl top and let it cool for the rest.
5. In 2 to 3 hours you’d find the yogurt ready.
That’s it. You have your yogurt ready by using the yogurt starter.
These two methods are safe to try especially if you don’t have fridge. And if you are doing homesteading or living the off grid life, in such case you can use either above method. I personally prefer the one which makes use of the lemon juice. If you have any other method that worked out for you. Feel free to send me through contact form or the comment below.