Let’s check out how to create DIY Laundry Detergent to clean your clothes. If you are moving away from the chemically processed laundry detergent and wish to make your own powder, then this post is just for you. A lot of people among us don’t want to make use of liquid laundry detergent then making one washing powder at home is good option. I know many homesteaders and off grid survivors are making use of the homemade washing powder. In this post, I am going to show you the simple way to make one at home.
Table of Contents
Why homemade washing powder?
Most of the market based laundry detergent products make use of the borax. And the usage of borax in the washing powder is one of the debatable topic. Lot of brands out there make use of the strong chemicals. They may provide better performance due to chemicals. But in process, they also affect the hands and there are always some level of skin issues. There are very few natural homemade detergent out there in the market. So it can be a good DIY assignment that you can try out so that you can move further towards self sufficiency.
Let’s check out how you can make natural homemade laundry detergent at home.
Here are some of the Ingredients for laundry detergent.
I am listing some specific quantity here based on experience. But I may add or remove specific quantity as is and when required. You may have to adjust with that judgement on your end. So let’s take a look at the instructions for making detergent powder.
Image credit: No trash project
1. Take a glass bowl and then grate the soap bar into it. If you can get the grated soap that would be good too. If you make use of your own DIY homemade soap that’s even better.
2. Add the washing soda or baking soda and mix all the available ingredients into the mix.
3. Make sure you use the wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients properly.
4. Add essential oil into the mixture if you want specific scent of the powder.
5. Keep the mxiture aside and make sure it is dry.
6. Store the washing powder into the mason jar where it can be in dry state.
That’s it. You’re ready with your washing powder.
Image via Pixabay
There are many other ways with which you can create the detergent at home. For example, you can make use of the borax which we haven’t used here. And then make use of the liquid detergent or the powdered detergent which can be a good option with different scented flavor.