Let’s check out home remedies for sore throat, cough and fever. How to take care of health during rainy season or winter homesteading.
Most of us who will suffer from the sore throat and cough would have to prepare remedies at home before we hit the clinics especially if you live in remote places. World has noticed one pandemic in 2020. And that means we have to be prepared for something like that in near future too.
Most of the homesteaders already are living remotely and handled all the precautions to avoid the infection. Now that we are slowly moving from the summer to the rainy season. It would be interesting to see how the new climate change will be taken by our bodies.
Here I am listing some of the things that you can do to avoid getting a fever and also catch cough or sore throat. Why home remedies? Because they work prior to you going to doctor for minor infections.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Try some of the below remedies for sore throat.
- Gargle with salt water, every 3 hours.
- Drink turmeric milk before sleep. Do this for minimum 3 days.
- Drink ginger and garlic soup. Don’t add anything in the soup other than garlic and ginger.
- Chew on Licorice Root for a day or two. Avoid excessive use of it as for some people it may not be healthy.
If the soar throat persists for more than 1 week. Then you should consult the doctor. Usually anti biotic medicines are not needed if the sore throat is mild. Saltwater gargle on regular basis is good enough to clear the throat.
Home Remedies for Cough
You should try out some of the remedies for cough.
- Honey and ginger tea.
- Green tea with lemon.
- Steam with nebuliser before going to sleep.
- Stay hydrated with warm water instead of normal temperature water.
- Use Eucalyptus oil on your bed and hankerchief.
If you do the steam with nebuliser before going to sleep, doing this few days should get you back to the normal.
Home Remedies for Fever
- Stay hydrated. Warm water is beneficial during cough and flu.
- Take some rest. Fever demands rest from the body.
- Green tea with ginger or lemon tea is definitely helpful.
- Make sure to spray eucalyptus oil around your bed. This helps for both against bacteria and also good for inhaling.
- Chicken soup is good during flu and cough. If you are vegetarian, you can drink ginger garlic soup.
If the fever is mild, you can get the same down in a day or two. But if it stays high, then it’s better to consult with the doctor.
What minimal medicines you should keep at home?
There are some medicines that you should keep at home if in case if you are suffering from the health issues due to seasonal changes. So here are some of the list of the items that you should keep around.
- Cuffdryl (meant for the allergic sore throat and cough)
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Vicks (vaporub for runny nose)
- Coughsil (tablets or syrup for cough)
- Nebuliser box
- Gelusil Antacid (for gas trouble and digestion issues)
These are some of the useful medicines that you can keep at home and consume when you suffer from the cough, sore throat and fever.
You can only use the home remedies if your cough, flu and cold infection is mild. You may have to visit the doctor if you are not feeling well. Or if your home remedies are not working out for you. Again, let me repeat, do visit doctor, if things get worst.
Make sure to purify water at home. If other members in family are getting the fever. It may become harder to bring the food from the farm or nearby stores. And considering many homesteaders live away from populated regions, It’s better to have emergency food stock at home. Make sure to check out emergency food supply list.
Homesteading keeps us safe from all those city lifestyle diseases. However time can change almost everything. And we have to keep track of our changing environment around and adapt to that. So hopefully the information here would be helpful for you.